Sunday, July 29, 2012

A Heart to Heart Talk

Dearest Tuningfork,

I had an intimate talk with my sister today...
She was relating to me some pressing concerns in her life, particularly on being in a relationship.
Well it goes without saying that she was actually aiming at getting some of my thoughts about it.

Honestly, although it feels good to know that my sister trusts me on her secrets and
is eager to hear what I had to say about some personal issues she is going through,
I kind of feel awkward talking about things which I haven't gone through myself.
I feel that I am not the best person to talk to in matters of the heart as of yet.

But I'm the only family she has in this utterly isolated island,
hence, I feel it is my duty as well to hear her out.
Bottom line is, I'm not sure whether or not I gave the best advise
but at some point we arrive at an understanding...
  • That all people need to be understood, and that in order for us to understand them, we need to put ourselves in their situation
  • That being in a relationship requires greater patience and understanding of the other
  • That to love means to give the other person a chance to fly and discover more about life and self
  • That societal norms should not dictate our decisions in life -- what matters most is that we love
  • That loving is extending God's love to other people. We don't stop loving when a relationship ends... We continue to love and even extend this love to other people we meet in the future.
So these were the things we have come to realize after that long talk.
Some others may not agree with us, but allow me to explain each one of them in my future blogs.

Let me hear from you, Tuningfork.

No comments:

Post a Comment