Sunday, November 6, 2011

Amazing Grace





"Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me....
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now, I see.

T'was Grace that taught...
my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear...
the hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils and snares...
we have already come.
T'was Grace that brought us safe thus far...
and Grace will lead us home.

The Lord has promised good to me...
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be...
as long as life endures.

Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
and mortal life shall cease,
I shall possess within the veil,
a life of joy and peace.

When we've been here ten thousand years...
bright shining as the sun.
We've no less days to sing God's praise...
then when we've first begun.

"Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,   
That saved a wretch like me....
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now, I see.

I have met this song probably a thousand times already,
but I never really took a closer look at the lyrics until yesterday
when I had the privilege of watching the movie of the same title.

Amazing indeed how God makes an effort to bring us closer to Him.
How sweet indeed the magnificent sound saving an unworthy soul like mine.
I once was lost, but now I'm found. 
Was blind, but now I see.

During my walk today, I remembered all the people
who were very instrumental in leading me to where I am right now.
Looking back, I remember how all of these people have 
made so much efforts just to help me.
It's just amazing how everything was so perfectly woven,
carefully planned out,
wonderfully orchestrated. 
I realized -- God has made all of it happen.
He was there all this time. 
He was there...and that's what's making the whole thing so amazing.
All those people who came to my life...
they were the many faces of God.
They came to make everything that happened to me happen.

If I was to take a closer look at my life before,
I would say it would have been impossible to come to where I am now without God's help.
My dad was a jeepney driver. My mom stayed at home to take care of us...
and the income we were relying on was probably just enough to buy us a decent meal
and occasionally some clothes to wear. 
But God was there...he sent our family those wonderful people to help us.
Here are some of the things I consider God's amazing graces in my life:

- a caring and loving family and relatives
- wonderful and lovely friends
- studied in a prestigious and expensive university 
- was offered prestigious scholarships
- joined Xavier University as a faculty of the English Department
- became a member and conductor of various choirs
- represented Philippines in the Study of the United States Institute
- became a student of amazing professors from the University of Illinois 
- (at present) teaching the New Zealand Curriculum at Niue High School
- visited popular places in the United States, Auckland, and Indonesia
- met truly wonderful people of God

Please don't get me wrong.
I am not trying to blow my own trumpet here.
I'm trying to show you how good God has been.
It's just hard to believe that a simple boy from a humble family
would grow and become successful despite hardships...
I am just humbled and moved by how God helped me all throughout.
Amazing indeed is God!
I will praise Him all the days of my life.

2 comments:

  1. Your writing here almost moved me to tears Jake (almost lang kay nagpugong ..m in the office for my lunch break...relaxing while reading your blog). Those who are humble are lifted up...and that's what God is doing to you right now...:-) beautiful ...that's what you are:-) God bless you always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mrs. G. "Beautiful" So are you, in and out! Heheheheh...thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete